The Montana Arts Council is offering a free online course for educators on the Montana Digital Professional Learning Network:
Exploring the Arts Standards
with Emily Kohring and Barb Good
The National Core Arts Standards were launched in June, 2014 in a continuing effort among a broad coalition of national organizations to create a sequential, standards-based approach to arts education across grades and levels. In addition to Music, Theatre, Dance and Visual Art, the standards also include a new discipline, Media Arts.
This 3-session online course will offer an introduction to the National Core Arts Standards, and facilitate discussion among participating educators about how the discipline-specific National Core Arts Standards may or may not be useful to teaching and learning in the arts in Montana schools. The second session will be a live webinar hosted by Emily Kohring, Director of Arts Education at the Montana Arts Council, and Barb Good, member of the music writing team for the National Core Arts Standards.
- Understand the philosophy and intended outcomes that shaped the creation of the National Core Arts Standards.
- Understand the structure and components of the new standards.
- Identify the intersections between the National Core Arts Standards and the Montana Common Core, and how arts learning supports MCCS learning goals.
- Identify the intersections between the National Core Arts Standards and the current Montana Standards for Arts, scheduled to be revised beginning in 2015.
- Analyze the potential for using the new National Core Arts Standards in your classroom, and how Model Cornerstone Assessments (MCAs) are being implemented to gauge student learning related to the new standards.
Target Group: PK-12 Teachers & Administrators, especially Arts Specialists; Post-Secondary Arts Education Instructors
Delivery Method: Online via MDPLN; course opens January 16; live, 1-hr. webinar February 10 from 4:00-5:00 pm (webinar will also be archived for later viewing)
Renewal Units/Credit: 5 OPI renewal units are available for completion of this course.
Cost: No cost
Contact: Emily Kohring, Montana Arts Council, email@example.com 406-444-6522